Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Ouch!

When Ryan was a little boy he loved to catch bees with his bare hands. I warned him repeatedly that he might get stung, but it never seemed to bother him.

Evan on the other hand, seems to attract angry bees. He has been stung many times and he is allergic to the stings. He swells up horribly. Fortunately it is not systemic, but the local swelling is very painful. The doctors haven't been very helpful expect to say, "Get the stinger out immediately."

Then there's me. In all of my 44 years, I have never been stung by a bee. Until yesterday. I was sitting in a lounge chair reading when I felt a tickle on my neck. I reached up to brush whatever-it-was away, when suddenly I felt the sting. Even worse, the bee was buzzing around inside my shirt. I told Marianne to pull out the stinger while I extricated the bee from my chest.

The worst part of the whole experience was when I realized that I may have brought it upon myself. Why? Well, the book I was reading is titled . . .

Photo by: Larry Crowhurst/Oxford Scientific Films

. . . The Secret Life of Bees

8 comments:

tollestrupfamily said...

Ha Ha! Funny story

Maren said...

love that book, but sorry it worked against you! Hope you are feeling better. I have never been stung and am terrified of it!

tawnya said...

Oh, Melanie. I'm so sorry! That was a little funny, though...

ferntyler said...

Seriously - what are the chances of that? If only the bee realized it was a great book, and not a mockery of his existence, maybe he wouldn't have felt the need to lash out like that! oh, and sorry about the sting.. :)

jessica said...

Is the irony killing you? ;)

Kristy said...

Oh wow, that is definitely ironic! I liked the book though.

Rachel said...

Mark Twain says that bees never sting fools. So if you've been stung, I think that means you aren't a fool.

DaNell said...

That is hilarious! What are the chances of that happening. It must have been your lucky day.