Early this year, we decided to perform Two Gentlemen with our Classical Acting troupe. Since I would be directing, I spent hours reading and watching the play. I came to realize that Proteus isn't really evil; he is a self-centered teenager. He wants what he wants and isn't thinking of anyone else. It made even more sense when I realized that all four lovers in the play are immature and more like teenagers than adults.
Whenever I direct a Shakespeare play, there is a moment of epiphany--a time when I suddenly realize, "Oh that's what this play is really about!" But that moment always catches me by surprise. This year it was quite late in the process, just a few days before our performances.
The play ends rather abruptly. Proteus is about to force himself on Silvia, who has refused his advances. Fortunately, he is stopped by Valentine, who is his best friend and Silvia's fiance. Proteus apologizes immediately and just as quickly Valentine forgives him.
The play ends in one big love-and-forgiveness-fest!
Julia forgives her lover Proteus, even though she has witnessed all of his terrible behavior.
The Duke forgives Valentine for his deceit and trying to elope with his daughter.
Silvia forgives both Proteus (for his attack) and Valentine (for offering to give her up).
The Duke even forgives the outlaws and pardons them.
Initially, I thought it was ridiculous, even wrong, that everyone in this play is so forgiving. Then it hit me. That's the point! The message of this play is to forgive quickly and love freely.
Actually, that's the point of our life on earth!
Dallin H. Oaks explained it this way:
"To achieve our eternal destiny, we will desire and work for the qualities required to become an eternal being. For example, eternal beings forgive all who have wronged them. They put the welfare of others ahead of themselves. And they love all of God’s children.
If this seems too difficult—and surely it is not easy for any of us—then we should begin with a desire for such qualities and call upon our loving Heavenly Father for help with our feelings." (Desire, April 2011 General Conference)
6 comments:
I'm so glad you shared your thoughts and the great quote by Elder Oaks.
I especially liked the list of all the different "forgiveness" that occurred in the play. I had missed some of those because Valentine's actions were so uncharacteristic of what we'd expect in that circumstance. I love the lesson you taught here in your blog.
What a lovely way to look at it! Forgiveness is cleansing. Too often we confuse forgiveness with boundaries/safety. While the characters forgave, is it safe to continue in their relationships? I have been looking at scripture stories differently over the past year recognizing how our Father views safety. Cain and Abel for instance. I am so sure Adam and Eve forgave Cain immediately.Was it safe for him to stick around? Not according to our Father. It may ne seen as punishment but I think our father knew what danger Adam and Eve would be in if he did stay. Forgiveness is wonderful and cleansing. We still should make wise choices as our Father would.
I love how often you talk of Shakespeare...and I love those moments of clarity in finding the true meaning. I find the plays are so very complex and meaningful for life. I love that.
Yes! My friend and I were discussing the play and came to the conclusion (well, she did) that Julia is an example of human forgivness and Valentine is an example of Godly forgivness.
DaNell - There may even be more examples of forgiveness in the play. Did Valentine forgive Thurio? Did the Duke forgive Silvia and did she forgive him?
Bryn - Great explanation that forgiveness does not mean allowing ourselves to be mistreated!
Tawnya - Thanks! I sometimes wonder if readers are thinking "Not Shakespeare AGAIN!"
Shonda - Oh, I like that way of thinking about it!
I liked your blog so much I copied it and sent it to Daniel. Here's a few more forgivenesses:
Valentine forgives the bandits who captured him.
The bandits forgive the duke and accepted his waiver of banishment.
Post a Comment