Sunday, April 3, 2011

[Bitter]sweet Sunday

Today is General Conference. I know I will learn and be inspired by the words I hear today. I will listen for the things I am meant to hear, for the whispers to my heart from the Holy Ghost.

But my heart will feel heavy as I remember last General Conference. Last October, my family spent conference weekend together during my Mom's final hours on earth. We knew her time with us was short. We made sure conference was on the TV in her room and we took turns sitting by her and talking to her. But she was unresponsive and I believe she had already begun her journey home.

This is our first conference weekend without Mom. I am excited to hear the Lord's word through His prophets, but I will miss my Mom. She won't be there to cook us bacon or share candy with the kids. She won't comment on which apostle is looking older or tell us which talk touches her heart. She won't give us a hug or discuss the scriptures with us.

My Mom loved watching and studying the conference talks. She loved pondering and talking about them. As I watch conference, I will think of her. But more importantly, I will think of my Savior. I know that He will bring peace and comfort to hearts that are burdened.

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I am sure your Mom is looking down on all of you today. Thank goodness for wonderful moms and all the wonderful memories we get to share with them.