Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Six Months

Today marks six months since my Mom passed away. Of course I think of her and miss her every day. During this grieving process I have learned something important. Some things are harder to mourn than others.

Now I'm not trying to compare trials or say "my trial is easier (or harder) than yours". The adversities we go through impact each of us differently. You can't really compare them or rank them.

But I will say this: People expect you to be sad when someone you love passes away. They may not respond perfectly, but they are generally understanding and thoughtful. You can express your sadness and friends will listen.

With other trials it may be more difficult to mourn. Sometimes we can't discuss them openly because we have to respect the privacy of others. Sometimes the trial involves someone's weakness or even sinfulness. We can't talk about the situation openly even if we feel the need. In some situations, people are judgmental of choices that have been made or the way we are dealing with a trial. This makes it hard to grieve and heal.

I am grateful that I have been able to mourn the loss of my mother by talking and crying with friends and family. I am thankful to be able to write about my mom and share my feelings on my blog.

But I know that many people are suffering, mourning and grieving in relative silence. Other people don't realize the pain they are suffering. Friends likely don't understand why they are grouchy or unreliable or distant. I hope that I can do a better job of recognizing unspoken needs in those around me. I pray that all of us can be patient with friends, family and even strangers who may be going through "invisible" trials.

Henry B. Eyring said, "All of us will be tested. And all of us need true friends to love us, to listen to us, to show us the way, and to testify of truth to us."

Click HERE to learn more about this painting by Diego Rivera
and how it relates to the burdens we bear.

5 comments:

ferntyler said...

Wow - I've never thought about grief/trials like that. That is so self-aware/appreciative of you to recognize that. I'm going to be thinking about this one for a while.

tollestrupfamily said...

I LOVE that picture. I remember a conference talk where it said that no one brings casseroles for the family with the wayward child. It really made me realize that grief is grief no matter the package it comes in and we need to be there for others in ALL times of need.

Annalisa said...

i like the question 'has anyone's burden been lighter today' and think the Lord asks himself that all the time...and it would be yes. i also love to think about how our challenges aren't removed completely, they are made lighter/bearable.

its not that we're taken from the sea of turmoil to be plopped on land, but we're often given a life vest or life raft or harbor patrol ship or cruise ship to make it...some instances require all, sometimes we're asked to bob in the water awhile longer for something better like a aircraft carrier. if we made it to shore too quickly, we'd have to do alot of waiting around for everyone else.

nevertheless, the Lord knows our burden and he knows how we'll become better for carrying the load and when he's needed to lighten it for us at times.

loves & hugs!

ps i'm sure you're mom is waiting on shore for you preparing every needful thing for when your family arrives. things are worth waiting for and hope you enjoy the journey from sea to shore.

DaNell said...

Thank you for your beautiful post, Melanie, and for sharing the painting. I appreciate your kindness in sharing your thoughts and healing process.
DaNell

DaNell said...

Thank you, Melanie for sharing your thoughts and healing process. I really enjoyed the beautiful painting and found a lot of comfort as I gazed upon it.
DaNell