Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Summer . . . Fun?

Ahhh....
Nothing says summer like:

A dead june bug


or a hand that's ballooned to twice it's size.

I'm guessing these two pictures didn't put you in the mood to sip lemonade or head to the beach, but they are part of MY summer. Aren't I lucky?

Let me explain . . . . I have children who love to take pictures of flowers, leaves, butterflies and any of God's creations--including dead beetles. In fact I found 32 images of this particular dead june bug on my computer!

In keeping with the insect theme, Evan was stung by a bee yesterday at the end of his swimming lesson. He usually has bad reactions to bee stings, so we immediately went into high gear with a baking soda paste, essential oils, homeopathic remedies and benadryl. Unfortunately, none of it did any good. Today his hand was swollen to twice it's size. He kept ice on it and we headed to the doctor. The (over the counter) prescription: more benadryl plus zyrtec. The bad news: Watch for restricted blood flow & infection. It may take a week for the swelling to go down. Recommended: an appointment with an allergist.

Okay, I'll try to redeem myself with a more appropriate picture, even if it's a few days late.


Let Freedom Ring!

(And stay away from those bugs!)

5 comments:

Marianne said...

BTW - I did NOT take the picture of the bug. I take pictures of Nice, pretty things. :)

Kristy said...

Too funny what images appear when a child is behind the camera. Poor bee stung hand. Miles has quite the bug and rock collection going right now.

Kim W said...

That poor kid. He really does get more than his share of medical issues.

Brandy said...

Poor Evan!! that looks a little painful, I hope it's not that swollen for a whole week.

jessica said...

When it rains it pours?...but really, what kid wouldn't take a ton of a pictures of a dead bug. The curled legs do look pretty cool;)