Friday, April 29, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things

I am not a shopper, spender or decorator.
I am really not into "things" and
I am pretty good at getting rid of stuff I don't use.

But there are some things I really do treasure.
Many of my books fall into this category.
So do my china, silver and crystal.


I received all of this when we were married almost 24 years ago.
It seemed like an extravagance at the time (and it still does to some extent),
but my Mom convinced me I would never regret it.
She was right!
Our family and friends were very generous with their gifts
and I have service for fourteen.

I haven't used our china enough recently, so I decided to pull them out for Easter dinner. The kids loved using the "fancy" dishes and goblets.
Over the years, many of the goblets have been lost,
but that's okay. I still have 8 or 9.

The china pattern isn't what I would choose today,
but I still think it is beautiful. I love how the delicate silver edges come to little peaks.
I think the silverware is classic and I would choose something similar now.

My mother-in-law fell in love with our silver pattern and bought a set for herself.
When she passed away, I was given her silver and I have enough for 16 people.

My favorite part of the whole set is the gravy boat.
I love the shape of the handle and
the peaked ends of the dish.

In fact, don't tell anyone, but I actually have two of these gravy boats.
I'll admit we didn't use them at Easter, but come Thanksgiving time,
the kids' table won't feel neglected!

3 comments:

Larkin said...

My mom has a set of nice dishes that we only use for special holidays, and I think its a fun tradition. :)

Shonda said...

I love it, Melanie! I love dishes. As long as I don't have to wash them. :)

Holly said...

I don't regret my china either. I cringe every time I hear of someone registering at Target for their wedding gifts. I want to say to them, "go register for china, something you don't need, will probably never buy for yourself, but you'll always be grateful you have."