Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Have you ever heard of . . .


Geometry was the only math class I really loved in high school, but I had never heard of this shape until a few weeks ago.

With our school year winding down, Evan has had a bit more time on his hands and he's been exploring one of his favorite websites http://www.wolframalpha.com/ It is a computational knowledge engine. If you (like me) don't know what that means, you can take a tour HERE.

What does this website have to do with geometric figures? Well, the WolframAlpha logo is, you guessed it, a rhombic hexecontahedron.

Evan wasn't satisfied with just learning to pronounce or define it. He needed to make one for himself. He found a small pattern online at this fun site. Of course my origami loving son couldn't stop there. He needed different colors. Then he figured out how to make progressively larger versions.

I am now out of cardstock and glue sticks for my glue gun, but otherwise this was a very low cost project. Let the summer fun begin!





4 comments:

Shonda said...

That is SO Awesome!!!

Debbie said...

Evan is amazing. Evan, you will totally have to bring those to class in the fall, and show us how to make those. I supply the cardstock and the glue sticks.

Dan M said...

Hey - nice work :) Evan's versions of the rhombic hexecontahedron are much nicer than the one I posted on mathrecreation. Very inspiring. If he has any tips on putting them together, please post them.

Alyssa said...

That is cool!!! How do you make those?