Yesterday John and I went to the temple. As soon as I sat down, I noticed that a man near me was a little "different". Several times he tried to whisper across the aisle to his wife and she seemed slightly embarrassed as she put her finger to her lips to quiet him. I guessed that he suffered from some kind of disability or perhaps a brain injury.
Over the next hour or two I noticed how enthusiastic he was about everything. He was visibly excited for each step of the temple session. He watched the officiators carefully and was very exacting as he did everything required of him. Later, I watched as he stood, wrapped his arm around his wife and tenderly kissed her hand over and over.
By the end of session, I was in tears. His enthusiasm and devotion were inspiring. It was a striking contrast to the times I have struggled to stay awake or keep my thoughts from wandering while in the temple.
What would our temple experience be like if we were always filled with excitement? Are we joyful about our temple service?
"Now was not this exceeding joy? Behold, this is joy which none receiveth save it be the truly penitent and humble seeker or happiness." Alma 27:18
1 comment:
Thank you for sharing this--it really touched my heart. It is good to be reminded we are "that we might have joy" and also not to take the temple for granted.
Post a Comment