Friday, January 21, 2011

Why Read? Part Four

Plain and simple: I love reading! It is my default mode, my favorite thing to do. I would read even if I didn't have a reason.

But I do have a reason! Actually, as I explained before, I have a number of different reasons to read, but the most important one is because of the result I am seeking. What is that result?

The result I am aiming for is to become educated. Not in a lofty, "I'm smarter than you" sort of way. Rather, in an "I'm better than me" sort of way. My hope is that as I read, I will learn and change little by little so that eventually I have the type of education described by God's prophets.

"Education is the power to think clearly, the power to act well in the world’s work, and the power to appreciate life." Brigham Young

" The aim of education is to develop resources . . . that will contribute to well-being as long as life endures; to develop power of self-mastery that he may never be a slave to indulgence or other weaknesses, to develop [strong] manhood, beautiful womanhood . . . a friend, a companion, a fit husband or wife, an exemplary father or a loving intelligent mother, one who can face life with courage, meet disaster with fortitude, and face death without fear." David O. McKay


This year I am going to post quotations from the books I read that are helping me gain my education. Take a look just below my "I'm A Mormon" button. My first quote is from Gilead: A Novel. The book is in the form of a letter written by an elderly small town preacher to his almost 7 year old son. It is unlike any book I've ever read. It is different, but beautiful and thought-provoking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me know how you like the book. I remember reading a review in the UT when it came out and it interested me. Like you, I love to read. TJEd has given me a great opportunity to rethink how I can continue my own education.

I love the quote.

This is debbie p.