On the day of my mom's funeral, John had the foresight to make an audio recording of the services. Later, my dad told me he would like a written copy of the talks. I knew that several talented photographers had taken pictures that day, so I suggested that we put together a book that included photos as well.
I decided I could work on it over the next month or so and have it ready for my dad for Christmas. Denise, Kristin and Marianne were kind enough to share their photos with me. Some of my siblings emailed me their talks, but I knew that I would have to transcribe several of the talks. The trouble was, I couldn't find the mini-cassette tape with the funeral recording.
John had set the tape aside for me on his desk and showed me where it was, but his desk gets awfully messy.
Marianne used the cassette recorder frequently for her flute lessons. She said she was careful to use a new tape, but it is easy to get those things confused.
I was frustrated that someone had lost that tape!
I prayed about it and was sure that it would turn up sooner or later. I got to work on the book and finished as much of it as I could. Christmas came and went and I still couldn't find the lost tape.
Evan offered to help me. He searched all over and gathered every mini-cassette tape in the house. He started listening to them, when things went from bad to worse. The cassette player broke! Admittedly, micro-cassette recorders are pretty old school. Most stores only carry digital recorders now. I found what I needed online and bought it, having faith that the lost tape would soon be found.
Photo books can get pricey, especially if you're making several copies, so I was grateful to have a really good coupon code to use! The trouble was, it expired at the end of the year. Besides we were leaving the next day for a trip to Utah.
I was so frustrated and prayed some more. I knew that the Lord knew where the tape was, why wouldn't he help us find it? Suddenly, it hit me. I had been silently blaming everyone else for losing that tape! I had never acknowledged that it may have been ME who lost the tape. Just minutes after I repented of my prideful thoughts, Evan called to me. He had found the lost tape--right behind MY dresser!
Everything came together and I spent a good portion of our car ride transcribing the talks and finishing the photo book. I was able to place the order just hours before the coupon expired.
I am grateful that because of the Savior, what was lost is found.
I am also grateful that:
"Broken clouds give rain
Broken soil grows grain
Broken bread feeds man for one more day
Broken storms yield light
The break of day heals night
Broken pride turns blindness into sight
Broken souls that need his mending
Broken hearts for offering
I believe that God loves broken things"
Lyrics by Kenneth Cope
(from a CD my Mom gave me for my birthday in August that I can't listen to without crying.)
You can listen HERE
3 comments:
I'm glad you found it. But I'm mostly glad I read this, this morning.
you inspire me.
I'd never heard that song before and it made me cry. BTW, I read the book from Christmas. It made me cry too. So I just have one question...if I'm brave does that mean you're the smart one?
Post a Comment