Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Why Read? Part Three


I've thought about this some more and I realized that there is another reason I am motivated to read. As I looked over my list of books read last year, I pondered WHY I decided to read them. I was surprised to find that I read most of them because I was inspired to read them.

Take a look at the list below and you'll see what I mean.

1. Evan was reading these and convinced me to join him:
Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Swiss Family Robinson by Johann D. Wyss
Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle -He loved this one and literally "hounded" me to take turns reading aloud with him. I actually fell asleep one night while he was reading and he was kind of insulted.
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Actually I was "previewing" this book for Evan. I was fascinated with it, but I don't think he ever got around to it!

2. These books came highly recommended to me by someone I respect:
The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle - My dad wouldn't leave me alone until I read this. Apparently Evan inherited his skills of persuasion.
The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria Trapp - Marianne loves the Sound of Music and asked me to read this one to her and Evan. It was fun to re-read this gem.
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen - My friend Angela kept mentioning this book, so I read it in 2009. In 2010 I read the young reader's edition to my kids for a girl's group my friend Rachel organized.
The Yearling by Marjorie Rawlings - I read author Lois Lowry's blog and she loves this classic.
Song of the Lark by Willa Cather - A tour guide at the Chicago Institute of art, showed us the painting by this name and mentioned the book. My mom and sister love Cather, so I knew I had to read it!
A Man for All Seasons by Robert Bolt - My friend Patti made major changes in her life after reading this play.
Yearning for the Living God by F. Enzio Busche - My friend Sheree loved this book & so did I!
Clues for Acting Shakespeare by Wesley van Tassel - Another book Sheree told me I needed to read to prepare for the Classical Acting project I mentor.
Weakness is Not Sin by Wendy Ulrich - I had been wanting to read this enlightening book, so when my sister bought it, I figured it was a sign! (Thanks for saving me some $ Jenny)
The Enoch Letters by Neal A. Maxwell - My sister Jenny kept talking about this one. I've read it twice now.
Satan's War on Free Agency by Greg Wright - our Bishop mentioned this book one Sunday.
Consciousness Beyond Life by Pim van Lommel - also recommended by the Bishop (though not in his ecclesiastical capacity)
Silence of God by Gale Sears - my friends Becky & Becki used this in a history class they teach. It is historical fiction, but tells the true story of the only LDS family in St Petersburg during the Bolshevik Revolution.
Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner - my friend Kathy told me how much she enjoys Stegner's work and I wasn't disappointed.
The Autobiography of Santa Claus by Jeff Guinn - I read about this one in a catalog, but Jenny confirmed that it is a great read that includes lots great people, places and events from history.

3. Nothing inspires me to read a book like having to lead a discussion!
Here are a few we discussed at our commonwealth school.
Thomas Jefferson Education for Teens by Oliver DeMille & Shanon Brooks
Oedipus the King by Sophocles
Tartuffe by Moliere

4. A great author inspires me to keep coming back again and again!
Shakespeare
- As You Like It, King Lear

Truman Madsen
- Eternal Man, Four Essays on Love, Christ and the Inner Life, The Highest in Us, The Radiant Life
C.S. Lewis - Till We Have Faces

5. Sometimes I receive inspiration from the Lord that I need to read a book.
I feel that I was being prepared and strengthened before the loss of my mother by reading the Madsen listed books above as well as these:
The Book of Mormon
50 Signs of the Times by David Ridges
To Him That Believeth by Frederick W. Babbel - an old favorite that my family loves
Bring Forth Your Light by Frederick W. Babbel

6. Occasionally a book review is enough to inspire me to read!
Educating for Human Greatness by Lynn Stoddard
Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte - It didn't quite deliver the hilarity promised.
A Christ Centered Christmas by Emily Freeman
Deliverance From Depression by GG Vandagriff - A great book about the atonement, even if you're not depressed!
Poetry Matters by Ralph Fletcher
Sounder by William Armstrong - This led me to read Sourland and The MacLeod Place by the same author.

7. Sometimes I feel inspired that there is something my children need to hear.
Growing Up by Brad Wilcox
What's the Big Deal About Pornography? by Jill C. Manning

8. Finally, I am inspired by FREE books!
As a Man Thinketh by James Allen was free on my Kindle, so I re-read this little pearl.
Drive by Daniel Pink - When I had to wait 3 hours for John at a mall in Palm Springs, I headed to Borders and read this book. I enjoyed it, but not as much as his A Whole New Mind that I blogged about a couple of years ago.

It amazed me that I didn't read a single book that I wasn't inspired to read. If you would like a review of any of the above books, just let me know. Maybe I'll inspire you to read something new!

Who or what inspires you to read?

No comments: