- to get information (a recipe, product review, instructions, directions, your teenager's journal**, medical answers, etc.)
- entertainment/escape (novels, magazines, newspapers, websites)
- requirement (homework, job training, work assignment, lesson prep)
- to connect with someone (facebook, letters, emails, blogs, journals, biography, historical fiction)
- gain understanding/inspiration (scriptures, non-fiction, church magazines)
- physical response (distraction from pain/discomfort, relaxation, to fall asleep)
For now, I'd really like to hear your reasons for reading. Please leave a comment. If you're not a reader, why not? Your reasons are valid reasons too. I'm interested!
*Don't worry if you can't remember part one. I wrote it months ago!
**I do not read my children's journals for information--entertainment maybe, but not information! Wouldn't most of us just be happy if our children actually wrote in journals?! My son did tell me about a recent lesson at church. The teacher was talking about journals and one of the boys sighed and said, "Well I write in my journal, but my Dad keeps sneaking in to read it when I'm not there." Evan thought it was pretty funny that his friend knew all about his Dad's "secret".
4 comments:
1,2,4,5 - mostly. I find myself trending toward a lot of non-fiction lately, of the first person memoir variety. I'm fascinated with how people live, looking for nuggets to help me in my quest for the authentic me...
I read for all of the reason listed! I know some people don't like to read, but I just can't wrap my brain around it! I love feeling like the characters in books are real and my friends. I love visualizing what is happening like its a movie. (Does everyone do that?) I'm not that great at remembering details sometimes, but I always remember what I felt while reading. I just finished Old Yeller for the first time this morning and I sat in the car (seminary) and cried. Sometimes it takes me days to process books and I can't talk about them without getting all choked up. Words really have an affect on me.
Definitely entertainment/escape for me - I just want to escape and get sucked into whoever's life I am reading about, then when I'm done I like to think what I would do, how their decisions were different than mine would be or the same,etc. I would like to start focusing more on gaining understanding/inspiration, though :)
I guess I do all of those, but if you hadn't have listed all of the reasons and made me realize I do them, I would have said for entertainment, and relaxation.
Post a Comment