Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

I am grateful for the many women and mothers in my life.
I am blessed to come from a long line of strong women.

This is my 4th great grandmother Ann Steel Murdoch. Her brother came from England to visit her in Scotland. He shared the gospel with her and her husband John Murray Murdoch and they were converted. The gave up everything to come to Zion. They lost two children along the way and their third child was born just before they began their journey across the plains. They suffered much, but always remained stalwart and faithful.


Below are four generations of beautiful women.

On the right is my 3rd great grandmother, Sarah Jane Murdoch Rasband. She continued the faithful tradition of her pioneer parents, living the gospel, and outliving breast cancer and two husbands.

In the middle is my great, great grandmother, Anne Elizabeth Rasband Phillips. Grandma and Grandpa Phillips left on their mission a few days after they were married in 1900. Anne gave birth to their daughter LeIsle while they were serving in Hawaii and her husband died a few months later. I am grateful to have a copy of Anne's missionary journal and to be able to read how she continued her missionary work until the next summer.


At the left is my Great Grandmother Anna LeIsle Phillips Rasmussen. I called her Grandma Rass. I loved visiting her because she always had a pretty dish full of candy and a little white poodle named Fifi. Grandma Rass gave me a coin purse with a silver dollar in it every year at Christmas. I was a young teen when she died and I was able to attend her funeral.

The little baby in the photo is my grandmother, Virginia Ann Rasmussen Zobrist. Grandma gave birth to her first three children in 2 years. I once asked her how she did it and she told me she cried a lot. She had 3 more children (including a set of twins), became Nevada's mother of the year, served a mission in Hawaii and worked in the temple. She now lives in Las Vegas and I don't get to see her often enough!

Grandma's 3rd child was her first daughter, who grew up to become Anne LeIsle Zobrist Forston, and more importantly, my mom. I love this picture of my mom as a flower girl at a wedding. Her ringlets are adorable.

My Mom is pretty close to perfect, so it's hard to know where to start. She has always been devoted to her family and unfailing in her love for the gospel and her Savior Jesus Christ. Her example has led me to strive for a unwavering testimony. She has always lived a life of service and I hope to be able to follow in her footsteps.

This is my mother-in-law Mary Alice Hartzell. I was blessed to have her in my life for a few short years before she passed away in 1990. The smile on her face says it all. Mary Alice loved everyone around her. No one every left her house hungry--emotionally or physically.
I love the way she pronounced the word "favorite". She had a cute way of saying "fav-o-rite" with the emphasis on the "o".
Like the women in my family, her fav-o-rite things were living the gospel and giving service.

I am blessed to have so many outstanding women in my life.
I have so many weaknesses and shortcomings and I am grateful that my daughter has so many great examples of mothers to look to and follow.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you!

5 comments:

Laura said...

You definietly carry on the tradition of great mothers. I look up to your example, you are so dear with your children (and all your 78 Primary children)!

ferntyler said...

What a sweet post - the old pictures are such a precious memory, I can definitely see where you get your awesome "handle everything" tendencies!

LaRae said...

How fun that with the exception of our own mothers, we share the same history! Thanks for sharing your history & mine - I may put a link on my blog to your post. I love the picture w/ grandma as a baby. I think that grandma Ras looks so pretty. The picture of your mom in her ringlets is adorable.

Jenny said...

Wonderful post Melanie! We are very blessed to come from a long line of great women.

Anonymous said...

Yup! Jenny was absolutely right. It made me cry! But best of all is having two daughters and two daughters in law that are all becoming great women! Best of all that you are all faithful members of the church and are trying hard to instill testimonies in your children. Keep up the process and the Lord will continue to bless your lives abundantly!