Friday, June 27, 2014

Captured

I've spent the past week going through our family videos. We have quite a collection of tapes from our camcorder, but most of them are not labelled. So every tape is a surprise--and an opportunity to learn something.

Many of the tapes show me covering my face or asking my husband to turn off the camera. Fortunately, he persevered and captured me on tape many times despite my protests. I complained that I didn't have my makeup on or my hair wasn't done, but you know what? I loved seeing the woman I was 10, 15 or even 20 years ago. I didn't see a single video where I looked so bad that I regretted John filming me. Sure I laughed at some of my clothes and haircuts. Yes, I cringed at how chubby I looked in certain years. But I am so grateful to have some of our memories preserved for the future. I was (and still am) an imperfect wife and mother. But I was there to kiss my babies and celebrate birthdays with little children who are now grown up. I am grateful for the many hours we spent together and that a few of them were recorded by their loving father.

I am grateful for a husband who tells me I am beautiful without makeup and keeps taking videos even if I complain. Here's a picture of the two of us at the beach today. If you look carefully, you'll notice that my hair isn't done and I'm not wearing any makeup. But I hope that what really shines through is the happiness and peace I feel when we're together.

.

1 comment:

tawnya said...

I love this so much!