Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day

 (or Daddy Day as Lavender calls it.)
Here are a few pictures of my daddy.




Such a handsome guy!

When I was very young, my Dad used to make up stories for me at bedtime.  My favorites were about "Elmer the Eagle."  I don't remember much about Elmer's adventures, but I know they often had a moral about obeying or making good choices. Dad was always trying to teach me and take care of me.

Now my oldest son is a father and today he reminded me of my dad.  He asked his four year old if she wanted to go to the store that Sunday afternoon.  It might have looked like he was teasing her, but he was really trying to teach her. My dad often did that sort of thing. On the way home from church he'd ask if we wanted to stop and get an ice cream cone or go to the drive-in movie. My brother sometimes answered "yes," but I knew it was a trick question to see if we would remember to keep the Sabbath day holy.

My Dad has always had a good sense of humor and liked to tease. At the store they'd ask for his phone number when he paid with a check (yes, we actually used to do things that way!)  He would reply that he didn't have a phone. The store clerk would get a little flustered and then my Dad would laugh and give his phone number.  He also liked to have fun at election time.  Once a friend of his was running for a local office and Dad put signs for the opposing candidate in his yard one night.  They both got a good laugh out of that.

When I was a teenager my Dad began having serious problems and pain in his leg.  Finally, he was diagnosed  with cancer.  He and my mother were very concerned and Dad talked to me about the possibility of dying from cancer.  I was not very understanding and I got really upset with him. I got out a copy of his patriarchal blessing and read part of it to him that promised him health and a long life.  I wasn't very gentle or compassionate, but I was full of faith that my dad would be healed. Dad received priesthood blessings and many friends and family members prayed for him.  Later, he went in for another biopsy and the doctors could find no evidence of cancer.  They said that the initial diagnosis must have been in error. We knew the truth:  Dad was healed by the power of God.

I am grateful for my Dad and all that he has taught me throughout my life. I love you Dad!

No comments: