Monday, June 30, 2014

Roxy - part one

"Deliberate" and "Intentional" seem to be big buzzwords today. I like the principles behind them and I want to live my life purposefully. But some of the best things in life are surprises or accidents that happen with little or no planning.

In 2002 we had a busy home filled with four children and a bird inherited from Grandma. One day my sister asked me if we were interested in getting a dog. I told her that I had my hands full and there was no room at the inn. Her friend Francie called me anyway.

Francie explained that her daughter had a sweet little dog who needed lots of attention. They were all away from home much of the day and the poor little dog spent hours in her kennel. I told Francie we weren't interested, but she persisted. She explained that she was calling me because we were an LDS homeschooling family. She wasn't going to give the dog to just anyone. They wanted a family who spent lots of time at home so the dog would get plenty of attention. Her daughter insisted that the family be LDS because Roxy "loved family scripture study." That was the silliest thing I'd ever heard and I thanked Francie for thinking of us, but told her we really weren't interested.

Then Francie asked if we would be willing to meet the dog, just so we could see what she was like. Francie was so earnest that I finally agreed. They showed up at our house the next day. Of course the kids were excited to have a visit from this little white pup. She ran circles around them and showed us her tricks. She could even jump up into your arms from the ground.

After everyone was thoroughly smitten, Francie asked if we wanted to keep the dog for a few days. Her daughter Lauren began to cry and told us how much she wanted Roxy to have a good home. Then Francie took us out to her car. We couldn't believe what we saw . . .

No comments: