Friday, October 14, 2011

Let Them Eat Casseroles

Last month Marianne picked up a cookbook that I was planning to give away.  She immediately found a couple of recipes that she wanted to try.  One of them was so-so, but my kids absolutely loved the other one.  It isn't something I would normally make since it is high in calories and low in vegetables.  However, since my family loves it, I decided I'd better record it on my blog. (Since I am still getting rid of that cookbook.)

In fact, Aaron has asked me to make it for his "last supper" at home.  If you decide to try it, please at least put out some fresh veggies or make a salad to go with it!  It is yummy.

Santa Fe Casserole Bake

1 pound lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 package taco seasoning (I used spices)
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup flour
1 cup sour cream
1 can (7 oz) diced green chiles
1 package (11 oz) tortilla chips
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sliced green onions with tops

Brown meat and drain fat.  Add taco seasoning and blend well.  In another bowl combine broth and flour.  Add to meat mixture and bring to a boil to thicken slightly.  Stir in sour cream and chiles.

In 9x13 dish place 1/2 of tortilla chips. Top with 1/2 of meat mixture, 1/2 of cheese and 1/2 of green onions.  Layer again with remaining ingredients.

Bake uncovered at 375 for 20 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

No comments: