Sunday, September 11, 2011

O, Remember, Remember

A few days ago I mentioned to my kids that the 10 year anniversary of 9/11 was coming up.  I recalled what a shock it had been to see the attack of the Twin Towers on TV.  I was surprised to find that my younger kids have no memory of that day. They understand the basics of what happened and we've taken them to see Ground Zero twice, but they still don't remember.

Then I remembered a book I purchased just a few months after 9/11.  It was a little pricey at the time and I debated the purchase.  I kept it on our coffee table for at least a year, but then it got put on the shelf in the garage where I store homeschool books we aren't currently using.  I was able to find the book, dust it off and show it to my kids.  It is essentially a photo essay of the attack and the impact on our country.  Marianne appreciated all the incredible photographs and poured over the book. She learned a few things along the way.  She didn't know that the Pentagon was also attacked.  I also spent some time with the book and I realized that there are many things I have forgotten.  I need to remember.  I want my children to remember.

Marianne and I just finished listening to the Book of Mormon together.  We did it quickly, in less than a month.  At that pace, the themes just jumped out at me.  One theme is the importance of remembering.  Another theme is that we are blessed to live in a choice land; it will be strong as long as we are righteous.  I pray that each of us, and our country as a whole, will remember and that our remembrance will cause us to turn to God.  I saw it happen 10 years ago and I know it can happen again.

1 comment:

tawnya said...

It's amazing to me how well I can recall. It's scary. I spent a terrible amount of time yesterday reading through New York Magazine's 9/11 encyclopedia. It's so long ago and still so raw. Amazing how that works.