I know that Marianne is the cupcake expert in the family. Thanks to her, I have eaten (too) many delicious cupcakes and visited most of the cupcake bakeries in San Diego. We have both been disappointed in the cupcakes we've found close to home. I won't name names, but one neighborhood store we visited was downright disgusting. We wholeheartedly recommend Sprinkles in LaJolla and Babycakes in Hillcrest, but both of those are a bit of a drive for us. Plus, it is also tough to find parking in Hillcrest and you have to be comfortable with the rainbow rich environment there.
Finally, we have a delicious local alternative! Cupcakes and Beyond has just opened. They make fabulous cupcakes with organic ingredients. They are in a convenient shopping center and are cheaper than Sprinkles or Babycakes. Plus they have discounts for 6 or more cupcakes!
Here are the ones we tried:
Clockwise from upper left:
Raspberry Lemonade is perfect! It is slightly tart with a fresh raspberry on top.
Carrot Cake doesn't look fancy, but it is full of good stuff. I know some of you are haters, but seriously this is wonderful. The cream cheese frosting is just right--not sickly sweet.
Chocolate has a great ganache filling. This is the chocolate cupcake you've been waiting for. Yum!
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut has the perfect taste and texture--not too dry and not overly moist with a crunch on top.
If you're in the area, give them a try. The storefront is very simple and it looks like they are in the process of decorating. They are a brand new business that just opened and I'd really like to see them around for long time!
2 comments:
That's good to know! Sprinkles has Gluten free cupcakes so I went there. I asked Cupcakes and beyond but they don't do gluten free. I think Marianne should look into that! Now people will buy that as it is getting really popular now. There is a cupcake place in Provo that does excellent gluten free cupcakes- Cupcake Chic. I hate to go there and buy some for all the kids but not little Riley Roo. Try the cherry cola one for me. I am most interested in that one!
Those look wonderful!
Post a Comment