One year ago, I already knew my mom would not recover. A week previously, I had spent a sleepless night on the cloud bed* listening to her breathe, ready to help her at any moment. I prayed over and over for her to recover. Then a horrible thought entered my mind. "What if she doesn't make it?" No one at the hospital had even hinted at such a possibility. So I asked God the question, waiting for comfort and reassurance. "Heavenly Father, Mom isn't going to die is she?" The answer came quickly, but it was not the one I wanted. I couldn't even begin to imagine life without my mom. I sobbed and sobbed, only stopping because Mom needed help and sadly, protection from the hospital staff.
In the morning I tried to deny the answer I had received, hoping it was just a terrible dream. I wasn't sure why God had told me the awful truth. Probably because I asked. But no one else seemed to be able to see it. And I didn't feel it was my place to tell them. One of Mom's doctors didn't believe she was dying until the day before she went home for hospice.
I know that God only speaks the truth. He gave it to me gently and only when I asked, but it was still almost too much for me to bear. Yet, I am grateful to know that Heavenly Father is a God of truth. He will never deceive or manipulate me. I can trust Him to always do what is right and what is best for me, even if I don't understand it.
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
*Cloud bed is the sarcastic name I gave to the fold-out chair that Jenny & I took turns sleeping on. It was like laying on springs and metal bars. To try and ease the discomfort, I asked for extra pillows. I put them over the so-called mattress and then fitted the sheet on top of them. As long as I didn't move or roll over (ha!) it was almost bearable. Looking back, I should have brought an eggshell pad from home, but at the time it never occurred to me. I guess the physical pain just seemed appropriate at a time of such emotional anguish.
No comments:
Post a Comment