I am the oldest child in my family, so most of my toys were handed down to younger siblings. I do have a few books from my childhood and I have one very special toy. It is a doll that was handmade by my mother when I was very young--probably 3 or 4 years old. I didn't play with many dolls as a child, but I loved my doll "Edie". She has the stains that prove she was well loved. One time my brother Scott and I even fought over her. I was horrified when he ripped off her arm, but fortunately my mother and her sewing machine came to the rescue.
One thing that made Edie really special was that she had her very own book! This is the story of a little girl who refuses to go to bed and tells her parents she wants to stay up all night. So they let her! They even take away her bed. The next morning she is so tired and grumpy that she never tries a stunt like that again.
This book must have had a big impact on me, because (except for a few years in college) I have always been good about making sure I get enough sleep. My children will tell you I have always been pretty strict about bedtimes too.
Edie and her book continue to inspire me. When ever I look at them, I think of my mother. I am grateful for the many hours of work my mom put into this doll. Like my mom's quilts, Edie is a tangible symbol of my mom's love for me.
1 comment:
That is one of the only handmade dolls that doesn't scare me. I would never have guessed it was handmade. So cute! What a sweet treasure to hold on to. Your mother was crazy talented.
Post a Comment