Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Daylight Savings Time vs Dinner

Last night I was in a hurry to make dinner (when I realized how late it was) and I knew I needed to use the butternut squash John bought last week. Soup didn't seem to fit the bill, so I tried this recipe. Along with a salad it made a delicious meatless dinner.

Pan Fried Potatoes and Butternut Squash

1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
6 red potatoes scrubbed and cubed
1 large onion, diced
1/4 c butter
garlic
dried rosemary (fresh would be even better!)
salt
pepper

Melt butter in a large skillet. Cook potatoes on med-low heat for 5-7 minutes. Then add squash, onion and seasonings. Stir together, then cover and let brown. Stir occasionally, but don't saute. Cook until potatoes and squash are soft. Serve before your family starts complaining of starvation.

Tonight I had a similar problem. I looked at the clock and couldn't believe it was 6:00! The kids had Mutual at 7:00. Tonight it was cauliflower that I needed to use. This recipe was quick made a great side dish to some leftover chicken. My family loved the way it smelled and tasted.

Yummy Cauliflower

1 head cauliflower cut/broken into very small, bitesize pieces
2-3 tablespoons butter
garlic
green onion chopped
sea salt
lemon zest
parmesan cheese

Melt butter in large skillet. Add cauliflower and saute for a few minutes. Add garlic, green onion and sea salt. Add lemon zest when cauliflower is brown and almost done. Before serving, sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese.

Are you struggling with the time change? Do you have any recipes to recommend when you suddenly realize it is dinner time?

3 comments:

jessica said...

It looks delicious! I have been on a major potato kick lately. Poor Will. I have made him make me homemade potato chips several nights in a row. Perhaps I will pass this recipe on to him for a nice...healthier change:)

tawnya said...

I LOVE cauliflower. I wish we had an sort of success growing it here!

ferntyler said...

That look sso good - I just ran downstairs because I remembered I had a squash in the fridge and I thought I had red potatoes, too bad the squash was already rotten! (guess i'll go buy another one and then try it..). my go to is usually something that involves a tortilla - we did fajitas last night, also not until 7, and the kids were supposed to go to bed at 7:30! thanks for the dinner ideas ;)