Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Compliments to My Complement

Tonight was picture perfect! John and I went out to dinner and we watched a beautiful sunset over the ocean, while rain dripped down the window. I highly recommend the food and the view at this restaurant.

During dinner, John reminded me that when we got engaged, he told my dad that we complemented each other perfectly. The past 24 years have proven that to be true!

The saying "opposites attract" definitely applies to us. I'm the yin and he's the yang.

A few examples:

* He has a very fast metabolism and is naturally thin, whereas I am (let's just leave it at) not!

In fact, he has to have a substantial snack before he goes to sleep or he wakes up hungry in the night. I don't think I have woken up hungry since I was an infant!

* John is generally very even-tempered while I am, shall we say, a bit more extreme in my moods.

When we got engaged, one of my co-workers had the audacity to ask John if he had ever seen me get angry. When John replied, "Well sure, I've seen her when she's not happy" my co-worker countered with, "No I mean when she's really mad."

Fortunately, over the years I have learned to be a little bit more like John. Even better, he usually knows how to make me laugh before I have a chance to lose my temper.

* He is very outgoing, good at meeting strangers, making small talk etc, while I am a naturally shy introvert. (Why I am the one with a blog?!)

In all the most important ways we are alike. We are both careful in our decision making. We are both financially cautious. We are both devoted to our family and our God.

Happy Birthday to my sweet husband!
I am grateful that he is different from me.
Together we are complete!

The birthday boy a few years after this picture was taken.

2 comments:

ferntyler said...

I love the title to this post and the awesome picture of John - Happy Birthday!

Bryn said...

Happy Birthday to John! What a great team! love it.