"The art of writing is one of the greatest blessings we enjoy. To cultivate it is our duty, and to use it is our privilege. By these means the thoughts of the heart can act without the body . . ."There is so much to think about in those short sentences! Do I think of writing as a blessing? Do I see it as privilege? Am I using my ability to write to share the thoughts of my heart?
I am grateful for the written word in my life:
scriptures
great books
essays from wise men and women
magazine articles
letters from loved ones
notes from children
emails from friends
family history
journals of ancestors
poetry
delicious recipes
Lately I have been struggling to feel close to my mother. I know that she loves me, but I have been unable to feel her love. The prophet Joseph Smith promises that writing allows the "thoughts of the heart [to] act without the body." I know that my mom cares about me, but as a spirit she can't use her body to give me a hug or tell me she loves me. I am grateful I have letters from her that will give me a glimpse into the thoughts of her heart. I think I need to spend some time re-reading her letters.
Valentine's Day seems like the perfect time to record the thoughts of our heart in writing. The written word will last longer than our mortal bodies.
" . . . the things which were written were plain and pure, and most precious and easy to the understanding of all men." 1 Nephi 14:23
No comments:
Post a Comment