Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Silly Song for Mother's Day

My mom never considered herself a musician, but she blessed her children's lives with music. She sang to us, took us to concerts and provided us with piano/voice/flute/trombone lessons.  We knew music was important to her, especially when she told us childhood stories of carrying her heavy accordion on the bus on the way to her lessons.

When she miraculously awoke in the hospital we all sang together. My mom loved to sing hymns and Primary songs, but our favorites were always the silly songs.  Now I get to sing them to Lavender and my granddaughters!  One of Lavender's favorites is "Mairzy Doats."  She likes it when I sing to her, but she loves this old video from the Lawrence Welk show.


It really is a cute song.  Here are the funny and confusing lyrics:

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey 
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you? 
Oh, mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey 
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you? 

If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and jivey 
Sing "Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy" 

Oh! Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey 
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you? 
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?

So Happy Mother's Day to my sweet mom.  Here are a couple of previous  Mother's Day posts and best of all, mom lovingly commented on each of them. It is a treasure to have her words on my blog.

Thank you to my husband and children for giving me the opportunity to be a mother.  They have given me so many wonderful gifts over the years. (Be sure to click on this link if you want a good laugh!)

Finally, happy Mother's Day to all of the women and mothers in my life. I know that I am a better mother because of each of you. I am grateful for your examples.  I wish I could give you each a lanyard! 

1 comment:

tawnya said...

Man. My mom used to sing this and we swore she just made it up!