Saturday, May 3, 2014

Yum!

I've been eating gluten free for over a year now, but that doesn't mean I've given up desserts.  I don't mind skipping the cake if I can have ice cream!  But now that I've set a goal to eat sugar free, things have gotten a little trickier.  Here are a couple of recipes that I really love.  They're not just "okay".  I think they're delicious!
Lemon Meltaways
Makes about 24 cookies
Ingredients:
  • 1-1/4 cups almond flour
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (plus extra for rolling)
  • 2 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, gently melted (not hot)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions:
  1. In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, process the almond flour, coconut, coconut flour, and salt until finely ground. Add the honey, coconut oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla. Process until a rough dough forms.
  2. Form the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in shredded coconut if desired.
  3. For a no-bake treat, simply refrigerate until firm and enjoy!
  4. For a more traditional meltaway cookie texture, place the balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 250ºF for 25-30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container.
Here is a link to the original recipe.  She explains why this is a healthy treat and gives options for using alternate ingredients.


Next up is the perfect dessert when I want something chocolately!  It is very rich, so I am usually satisfied with one piece.  My kids really like this and my husband is happy because there's no coconut involved.

Sugar Free Peanut Butter Fudge

1 cup softened butter 
1 cup honey 
1/2 cup cocoa powder  
1/2 cup organic, creamy peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1/2 tsp sea salt 
Mix ingredients in a large bowl until smooth. Spread in a 8X8 pan and freeze for 2 hours. Cut into squares and enjoy! Keep in the freezer.  

Here is a link to the original recipe.

No comments: