Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Flight From Beauty

It is no secret that I love children's literature.  Long after my children were past picture book age, I kept shelves full of outstanding books.  I even have a few books saved from my own childhood.  Now I get to read them to my granddaughters and Lavender!

I also really enjoy young adult literature and when my children were little, I had a shelf full of books that I hoped they would enjoy reading some day.  Unfortunately, over the past fifteen years I have noticed a disturbing trend in YA literature.  It has become darker and more violent in the name of "reality."  Even books for young children have been impacted.  I have read a couple of articles about this trend, but I finally read a compelling article on this subject that I have to share with you.  Read "The Case For Good Taste in Children's Books" by Meghan Cox Gurdon HERE. She is a wise woman and she's got the experience and credentials to prove it.  More importantly, she is the mother of five children!  She also includes incredible quotes such as this:
For beauty makes a claim on us; it is a call to renounce our narcissism and look with reverence on the world. 

1 comment:

tawnya said...

I've been talking to a friend about this. While I think some reality in YA is good, there is a line. And being in the library last year, I was always amazed at what these 6 year olds were taking to read and the many conversations we had with Sammy about why he can't read some of the things his friends are reading.