Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Thank goodness it's a paperback

What would you say if I suggested you read a 638 page book . . . about Benedictine nuns? I have to admit it doesn't sound too appealing.


But I just finished In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden and WOW! I want to re-read it already. This beautifully written book satisfied my desire for a good story, brought me peace and taught me some important lessons about leadership.

In case you need some page turning excitement, the book also has mystery, tragedy, theft, poetry, love and even promiscuity (okay that last one only applies to the cat).

In the characters of Dame Philippa and Dame Catherine, Godden shows us two very different women who are both great leaders.

Philippa Talbot is a powerful businesswoman who gives up a successful career and comfortable life to enter a monastery and become a nun at age 42. Philippa knows how to be in charge and get things done, but as she turns her life over to God, she develops her ability to submit to authority and be a supportive and respectful "follower." When she takes the vow of obedience, she understands that it means "submitting your will, even when it goes against [your] grain; giving up your judgment and accepting your superiors--even a a weak superior." Dame Philippa has many opportunities to use her connections and leadership skills, but she humbly offers help through quiet suggestions to the Abbess. She learns that her strongest connection is to God and seeks to access His power through fervent prayer.

Dame Catherine is stunned and terrified when she is elected Abbess of the House of Brede. She knows "she must lead and inspire every hour of the twenty-four hours of each day until she dies." She has no desire to "bear that awesome responsibility" and "consent to be the representative of Christ." She cries in the chapel and whispers, "I can't" until her panic is quieted and she accepts her responsibility to God saying, "I can't . . . so You must."

With God's help, Abbess Catherine becomes a marvelous leader:

She does what is right even when she knows some will disagree
She allows others to save face whenever possible
She keeps confidences and respects privacy
She is patient in looking for solutions to problems
She is creative and not afraid of change
She is honest, but doesn't speak ill of others
She allows people to choose their own way
She doesn't seek to blame
She trusts in God that things will work out

I think most of us can relate to the way Catherine felt. We don't really want to have to do such hard things! Yet, each of us will be called upon to lead in some way during our life. We might as well learn some of these lessons by watching others instead of having to learn them the hard way "on the job." I am grateful for the examples of leadership Godden provides in this beautiful novel.

4 comments:

jessica said...

It sounds intriguing. 3 of my aunts are nuns...and sometimes I wonder about the whole experience...you know...nuns and their habits? Haha...sorry, I just couldn't resist!

Debbie said...

My stack of books for summer reading just got taller. Sounds like a great read.AND, I can totally relate, except about the crying part. I hope that does not happen.

Bryn said...

Those are hard lessons to learn. I am so envious of those who learn them so much more gracefully than I do. I tend to learn things more the hard way - by making the mistakes. Such a slow learner am i. Why I need to hear the blessings in the temple over and over and have a good friend to vent to to keep things in confidence when I can't do any more myself. I think I need to read that book. Thanks for chatting today.

DaNell said...

Now I have another book I want to read! Thank you for sharing the beautiful principles of leadership you found in Catherine. I hope I can live them.