Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sweet Sunday - The Elephant in the Room

No, not that elephant.

This elephant!

This picture was taken a couple of days before our big garage sale.
Marianne had decided to donate the largest member of her elephant collection
and took a few farewell photos.
She also captured the disaster area that was my living room.
The couches were piled with baby clothes and the room was full of
hangers, cardboard boxes and bags full of (hopefully) saleable items.

The mess wouldn't have been so bad, except I was feeling "messy" inside.
I was overwhelmed, worried and sad.
The joy I strive to feel in life seemed pretty elusive,
I was even irritated by the (literal) elephant in the room.

I had already forgotten the joy I felt a few hours earlier
when Brianne stopped by for a quick elephant ride.

In that moment I had been very grateful for the elephant
and the joy it brought to my granddaughter.

The scriptures are full of admonitions to remember:

"Remember his marvellous works that he hath done, his wonders, and the judgments of his mouth." 1 Chronicles 16:12

"And I would exhort you, my beloved brethren, that ye remember that every good gift cometh of Christ." Moroni 10:18

Sometimes it takes an elephant to help me remember, but remembering really does help me find the joy in life! Do you ever struggle to find joy in life? What helps you to remember?

"[Wo]men are, that they might have joy." 2 Nephi 2:25

1 comment:

Annalisa said...

What a beautiful grandbaby!