Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sweet Sunday - Clean up Edition!

I understand the shock of pain when you drop a brick on your foot. I know the frustration and even fury that arises while raising children and (especially) teenagers. Unfortunately, at such times, words we wouldn't want grandma to hear may burst forth.

But we know better. At least I thought we did. I have noticed a disturbing trend over the past few years. Words that used to be considered off-limits are suddenly popping up in mainstream books, magazines and even mommy blogs.

I have chosen to avoid certain media because I knew they contained language I considered foul. But it the past couple of years something has changed. Suddenly the "f" word is no longer considered taboo. I am careful in my choice of reading, but profanity is becoming increasingly difficult to avoid!

The popularity of profanity saddens me. The word "profane" has its roots in Latin.

pro = instead of

fanum = temple

So when we use obscene or profane language, we are choosing something instead of the temple; we are choosing unholy words. Often this type of language mocks the sacred: the name of God or the God-given power of procreation.

Elder Dallin H Oaks said, "For many in our day, the profane has become commonplace and the vulgar has become acceptable. Surely this is one fulfillment of the Book of Mormon prophecy that in the last days 'there shall be great pollutions upon the face of the earth.'" (Mormon 8:31)

I challenge each of us to clean up our own language! I hope that we can avoid watching, reading or listening to profanity and speak up as Elder Oaks suggested "so that others cannot conclude that our silence means approval or acquiescence."

“A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.” Proverbs 5:14

2 comments:

Shonda said...

Yay! I agree, it has become so commonplace! It is really ridiculous!
I have two stories: I was at In n Out with my boys when two 20 something young men were sitting by us. Every other word was profane. I started trying to catch their eye and just kept smiling at the them. One of them sort of nodded at me and half smiled, but I kept on doing it. I'm sure they thought I was pyschotic! The other time, I was in Wal Mart, in the toy aisle, mind you. A 20 something young man and women were there as well. The young man said a few choice words. I looked at him and said "Excuse me!" He sheepishly said sorry, but the girl was livid. She got in my face and spewed foul words as she jostled by me. So lady like. :p Not only swearing bothers me, but slang, too. I am always reminding my Young Women to say "It stinks" instead of the popular alternative.

Bryn said...

Did you happen to over hear my last therapist visit? Oops....
Your timing is impeccable. I needed this reminder right now as I battle the fruit flies in my house. Thanks again!