Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Countdown to Halloween

Halloween is still several days away, but my kids have been ready for weeks.
Here's a glimpse of the preparations.

Marianne is in full decorating mode. Even our flowers fit in with the color scheme.


The boys helped decorate outside.


A close up of our front door.


Apparently decorating was too much for them, or else they needed to release some of that pre-trick-or-treating energy. The kids had a huge styrofoam war in the yard. It looked like a snowstorm had hit.

Aaron also attacked the dinner calendar that was posted on our frig. I left Halloween blank because I figured we'd have pizza or something. (Everyone is always in a big hurry to get out of the house on Halloween!) Anyway, I found our Halloween dinner listed as:
"little children that come along"


Here's Marianne formulating her plan of attack.

On a calmer day, Evan played at his Halloween recital.
He was hauntingly terrific!
He performed "I'm Not Afraid" and "In the Hall of the Mountain King" from the Peer Gynt Suite


Marianne gave her baby costume a test run at the Young Women "Big Sister, Little Sister" Halloween party. Here she is with her little sister from Primary.

The final sign that Halloween is on the way is
the CANDY and treats that are all around me!
Yikes, that's the scariest part of Halloween.
My willpower doesn't seem to be working lately.


Today we made my cousin LaRae's delicious pumpkin cookies.
Click HERE for her wonderful recipe.

But I'll bet she's never made them like we did!
We had 8 girls come over to our house this afternoon to discuss Helen Keller's autobiography, The Story of My Life. Last week we toured the Braille Institute, but this week we decided to try something a bit more hands on. We made the cookies while blindfolded. Actually, each blindfolded girl had a "seeing" partner (hey, even Helen had her teacher Anne Sullivan). The girls gave verbal instructions and helped their "blind" partner measure and mix all of the ingredients. It wasn't easy, and it took a long time, but the girls had fun and the cookies turned out perfectly!


8 comments:

Kim W said...

I love decorating for fall!!! It's the best time of the year. I love the activity you did to make cookies blindfolded was the best! Great idea!!! Helen Keller is one of Aubrey's heroes.

ferntyler said...

I'm glad we don't come trick or treating over there - you don't think Evan was really going to eat any little kids, right? ha ha.. that is awesome that they get into Halloween, and I love the blind cookie making, maybe I should try that with my kids and we won't eat it as we go so it will turn out right :)

jessica said...

I love "In the Hall of the Mountain King." Hudson watches, Little Einsteins and they put words to it so it is kind of fun listening to Hudson sing a classical piece of music. By the way, I love the monster doornobs.

jenna said...

hi, aunt melanie. your house looks awesome! thanks for inviting me to the blog. i'm excited to post my own comments. boo!

Kristy said...

Making cookies without eyes sounds like fun! What a great activity.

Angie said...

What fun! It looks like the kids really enjoy it. That reminds me I need to try Larae's cookie recipe too. I think I will do it without the blind fold though.

Annalisa said...

what cool pictures. decorating is so fun.

Janae said...

Halloween is too fun! I love your cookie experiment:)