Monday, September 15, 2008

Protect Marriage, Protect the Future

Here's the truth: I really don't like talking to "strangers". Maybe my parents trained me really well, or maybe I'm just not very friendly. Either way, I'm not the kind of person who usually starts a conversation with someone in line at the grocery store.

So what am I doing out knocking on doors all over my neighborhood?
I'm trying to be a good citizen, uphold the sanctity of marriage and make a better future for my children and grandchildren.

In the past few weeks while I've been out talking to people about Proposition 8, I've met just a few nasty people and lots of wonderful, friendly folks who may or may not agree with me. I can respect people who say, "I've studied this issue and I believe I need to vote no on prop 8." I completely disagree with them, but I respect them.

The saddest and scariest part has been meeting people who are apathetic or indifferent. I've encountered people who say things like, "Well, I'm not registered to vote. I'm just too lazy" or "I don't care about politics. It doesn't matter to me." Worst of all was a 30 something mom with young children who told me, "Oh, I'm in support of Proposition 8, but I'm not going to vote." When I asked her why, she answered, "It doesn't matter anyway. It won't make any difference. The courts didn't listen to us last time and they won't this time either. " I tried to explain that this time the wording "Only marriage between and man and a woman is valid or recognized in California" will become part of our California state constitution." Because the courts must uphold our state constitution, it isn't something that can be overturned easily. Unfortunately the woman wasn't convinced. "I'm completely disillusioned and I'm not going to vote anymore" she said as she shut her door.

I wish everyone could see that they CAN make a difference. One person can have an impact through her efforts, her example and her vote! I just need to take Thomas Jefferson with me next time I head out to talk to my neighbors.

Here's a great video about protecting our families and the future.

2 comments:

Janae said...

Good luck with this Melanie. You are a great inspiration for going door to door! Your right, one person can make a difference:)

LaRae said...

This would be tough to do! I admire your efforts & think it is good for us all to remember that we CAN make a difference. Good luck!