I had a real treat this weekend.
It was better than chocolate.
It was better than chocolate.
I got to spend the whole long weekend alone with my husband!
We took a trip to Portland and had a fabulous time.
We got to the car rental agency about 1:00 AM. They only had 3 cars left: a 15 passenger van, a Hummer and this Chevy Trailblazer. I probably would have picked the Hummer (especially once I saw that it was RED) but I'm sure the Trailblazer was more comfortable. John was so pleased because we got the Trailblazer for the economy car rate of $12 a day. (I must say he finds amazing deals!) In the parking garage it looked black and we were surprised the next day to find that it was actually eggplant colored. I named her "Eggie" and she was a great ride. I won't even mention the flat tire, except to say that it happened right next to a Firestone dealer, and it gave us just enough time to eat lunch at a great little Thai place while they repaired the tire.
We took a trip to Portland and had a fabulous time.
We got to the car rental agency about 1:00 AM. They only had 3 cars left: a 15 passenger van, a Hummer and this Chevy Trailblazer. I probably would have picked the Hummer (especially once I saw that it was RED) but I'm sure the Trailblazer was more comfortable. John was so pleased because we got the Trailblazer for the economy car rate of $12 a day. (I must say he finds amazing deals!) In the parking garage it looked black and we were surprised the next day to find that it was actually eggplant colored. I named her "Eggie" and she was a great ride. I won't even mention the flat tire, except to say that it happened right next to a Firestone dealer, and it gave us just enough time to eat lunch at a great little Thai place while they repaired the tire.
Eggie took us to the beautiful Multnomah Falls.

The hike was quite steep, but we had some incredible views of the Columbia River along the way. We were surprised to see so many people brought their dogs along. One man even had his cat on a leash. Those Oregonians love their pets!
After our hike we had lunch at the lodge there. A tour group of senior citizens was having lunch at the same time. They were served a peach cobbler for dessert. It looked yummy so John asked if we could order some. The waitress said it was specially made for the group and there wasn't any available. When we finished eating the waitress came over with two cobblers in her hand and said, "Hey, I have a couple of extras. You can have them if you don't tell anyone."Next we drove to Mount Hood. It is a volcano and they have year round skiing there because of the glacier. We had done enough hiking, so we didn't head up that mountain! They have an amazing Timberline Lodge which is a National Historic Landmark. It was built during the Great Depression as a Federal Works Project. The craftsmen did a beautiful job and everything was done onsite. The timber and stone is local and even the metal was forged there.
Here's John at Mt. Hood

We had a great time walking around downtown Portland. We loved the wonderful architecture and we saw both extremes in shopping. We went to the Saturday Market which is an outdoor type of bazaar with lots of dreadlocks, loud music and incense. Then we headed over to Nordstrom's where I found this great blouse for only $1395.00. (Yes, I did get the decimal point in the right place.) Oh and we saw people shopping in Nordstrom's with their very large, unleashed dogs.

The Japanese Gardens were so serene and peaceful. And their gift shop was a little more in our price range (as a bonus, there was no incense burning!)

As long as we were in the garden mode, we headed over to the Rose Test Gardens where they have hundreds of varieties of roses. They try them out and decide which ones will be sold to the public. I have never seen so many different colors or smelled so many different fragrances in a garden!

We were also able to visit my Grandpa Jerry and his wife Felicia. Felicia made us a delicious Italian dinner and Grandpa Jerry let us play with his Christmas present--a mini pinscher named Sophie. You can see her below chewing on my foot. And yes, she is a typical Oregonian pet who goes to work with my Grandpa every day.

Thanks to my sweetie for taking me on such a wonderful weekend getaway!
If you made it to the end of this long post, I have a few questions for you:
Have you ever been to Portland? What did you see there?
Which rental car would you have picked?
What is your favorite color rose?
Will you promise not to tell anyone about the peach cobbler?
Have you ever taken your dog shopping?




4 comments:
I love Portland, especially Multnomah Falls. Seaside is fabulous as well. Your pictures bring back memories of their Rose Festival and their parade. There are roses everywhere.
1. I have been to Portland many times! I am an Oregonian you know. My best memory of Portland was a Trailblazers game, but I love Multnomah and seldom pass by without stopping.
2. I probably would have gone with the trailblazer just because of the price of gas. However, if gas weren't so extremely priced I would have chosen the Hummer hands down!
3. Red roses are my favorite I think because they are so timeless.
4. I promise not to tell anyone about the cobbler, except my husband who I share everything with.
5. I don't do pets, but if I had a dog I would never take him shopping, probably not even to petco unless the kids really begged.
Now I want to be the president of your fan club - that is my favorite treat,too (going with my hubby, not yours of course, ha ha).. I've never been to portland - so green and lush! I probably would have picked the trailblazer, too - if they had seen you driving a Hummer, you might not have gotten the peach cobbler (and I won't tell a soul, unless they ask me directly and then I just wouldn't feel comfortable lying about it :)) (i'm cracking myself up tonight - obviously I need more sleep)
little dogs always come towards me barking like crazy when i'm out running - they scare me!
favorite rose - white?
I even answered all your questions, aren't I a good fan member?
Oh! You make me want to go to Oregon! What beautiful pictures!
~I have never been to Oregon but have been to Washington many times and I believe it is similar. I have a dear family friend that is in the Portland temple presidency. They moved there permanently after serving as mission president years ago, so I guess it hooks people!
~Trailblazer. I have enough trouble parking my Odyssey let alone a Hummer!
~Every rose is my favorite!
~Score on the cobbler!
~My hubby takes the dogs to Petco. They are very ill behaved so I don't take them anywhere! I used to work in Aspen, Co and everyone takes their dog shopping and to work there, also. I don't know how they train them so well to do that!
Post a Comment