
I recently read a great biography called
The Real Thomas Jefferson. It was full of inspiring stories and quotes. A theme throughout the book was Jefferson's effort to end slavery. In 1784 Jefferson sponsored a bill about the western territories. He included a clause barring slavery in any of these areas after 1800, but his proposal was defeated by
one vote! Jefferson lamented:
The voice of a single individual . . . would have prevented this abominable crime from spreading itself over the new country. Thus we see the fate of millions unborn hanging on the tongue of one man, and Heaven was silent in that awful moment! But is to be hoped it will not always be silent, and that the friends to the rights of human nature will in the end prevail.
Sadly, this is a negative example, but it doesn't change the fact that:
One person really can make a difference! This is a true principle and it is important to remember in this election year. I have seen many examples of this in history, in literature and in my own life. I feel strongly about the "power of one" and I will share other examples in future posts.
2 comments:
Great post. I hope everyone will get out and exercise their right to vote. One person really can make a difference.
Melanie- Great blog! How fun that you and Jenny have blogs now:). This sounds like a great read. I loved your sons conversation with the neighbor. You're correct, many adults could learn a lot from that conversation:)
Post a Comment