Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Princess Anne


My Mom recently celebrated her birthday. I won't say how old she is, but I will say that she's 24 years older than me. The princesses who live close by all decided that we should celebrate with a princess theme. We went to see "Enchanted" and then out to lunch. On Sunday we invited the princes to join us for Sunday dinner and they came to a table set with a princess tablecloth and pink plates. We didn't make them wear tiaras.

My Mom really is a princess, I think she's even queen material. She has always been a blessing in my life. She is unfailingly patient and loving. She was a peacemaker in our home while I was growing up and she continues to be a peacemaker in our extended family. I can count on one hand the times she's really gotten mad at me. I wish my kids could say the same of their mother.

My Mom is a true princess because she knows how to serve. One of my earliest memories is of her extending a hand of friendship to a lonely neighbor. Over the years I have seen her make countless casseroles, quilts and phone calls as she reached out in love to everyone around her. She has served faithfully in church callings, volunteered at every school her kids attended and been involved in her community. She has always been a great visiting teacher even when she's had some challenging assignments. She's worked in the Family History Center and she continues to serve and help care for her aging parents.

Most importantly, my Mom is a great wife and mother. That has always been her first priority no matter how busy she was with other responsibilities. She continues to be a wonderful grandma. Grannie Annie is always looking for opportunities to love and help her grandkids. She has taught my daughter how to sew and quilt. She has helped my kids with their school assignments & writing. She always has a treat for them. She knows how to give wise counsel in a loving and non-threatening way.

I am so blessed to have a true princess for a mother!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the praise! You can keep it coming to buoy me up after surgery. Love Mom

LaRae said...

Melanie - I am so excited to have a new buddy in the blogging world. Happy belated b'day to Aunt Anne! What a fun birthday your princesses hosted for the head princess of the family. Didn't you just love Enchanted? I want to see it again! We just celebrated my mom's b'day this week. I'm looking forward to more blog posts! Happy blogging!

Shonda said...

What a beautiful tribute! Proverbs 31:28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed.