Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Delicious History!

I love studying history with my kids! We're starting on a study of the middle ages and they've done some fun activities with our homeschool group. For some reason our favorite ones seem to involve food! Here's Evan with his gigantic soft pretzel.
Legend has it that the first pretzels were made by monks with leftover bread dough. They were shaped like someone praying with their arms folded and given to children who memorized their prayers. Now I'm not teaching my children to memorize prayers, but I love to hear them offer faithful prayers from the heart.

Marianne made a more petite version, but still very yummy. Did you know that the first pretzels were called pretiola? That's Latin for "little reward"


Here they are wearing the jester hats they made and eating homemade "stained glass" gingerbread cookies. Stained glass and gingerbread were big in the middle ages, so this was a fun activity to combine the two.
I thought this one with the marbled look turned out really pretty! All it took was a cookie cutter and one red & one white lifesaver. Nice work Marianne!

No comments: