The summer I turned eleven, my father took a sabbatical from Drake University and we headed west. We were moving to California, but first we stopped in Las Vegas. My mother, my brother Scott, my sister Jenny and I spent the summer at my grandparent's home. My dad traveled back and forth to southern California searching for the right business to buy. I loved that summer full of new experiences. My grandparents had a brand new home, so new that model homes lined their street. My brother and I toured them repeatedly. Their house had fancy flocked wallpaper, treasures from their trips around the world and a swimming pool! It was also filled with forbidden pleasures like Hostess products (for breakfast!), a TV in our bedroom, and stacks of "The National Enquirer." My mother struggled to keep us clear of the excesses of sugar, cartoons and tabloids, but I enjoyed every minute. I also loved spending time with my many cousins who lived nearby.
That summer was a turning point for me in many ways. I began shaving and wearing a bra. When we arrived in California we moved next door to a gay couple and a girl who bullied me. My mother had a full time job for the first (and last) time in my life. But it was also the beginning of a relationship with my grandma.
| My family that summer, in front of Grandma's fancy drapes and blue and gold flocked wallpaper. |
| Grandma in her kitchen serving cake, probably for breakfast with a Coke to wash it down! |
No comments:
Post a Comment