Saturday, March 9, 2013

You Never Know

When you might need to make a giant cupcake.

A few weeks ago I never would have considered making an oversized cupcake.  But today I am the proud baker and decorator of not one, but two giant cupcakes!

As an experienced giant cupcake baker I feel obligated to share what I've learned.  Besides, by the time I make my next giant cupcake, I will most likely have forgotten all the important details. Since the pan came without instructions I had to glean my knowledge from youtube videos, online forums, cake mix boxes and limited personal experience.  So here we go:

Mix together:
2 cake mixes (same flavor)
2 small boxes instant pudding (similar to cake mix flavor)
8 eggs
2 cups water
2/3 cup oil

This makes a heavier, pound cake type of cake that is sturdy enough to become a giant cupcake.

Spray large side (cupcake base) of pan with PAM.  Pour in 3 1/2 cups of batter.  Bake at 325 for 10 minutes.  Pull pan out of oven and spray small side (cupcake top) of pan with PAM.  Pour in 2 1/2 cups of batter. Continue baking for 50+ minutes.   Turn pan around halfway through baking time. Bake until center of both sides tests done.  (If the tops get a little over-browned don't worry because you will cut them off.)  Make regular or mini cupcakes with leftover batter.

Let cake cool 15 minutes in pan, then remove to cooling rack.  Let cake cool completely and then cut off the tops so that they are flat.  (Top of base and underside of cupcake top need to be flat so they fit together.) Feed cut off cake pieces to your starving children.

To decorate:
Spread frosting on underside of cupcake top. Bring frosting up around the edges about an inch. Gently set the cupcake top on the cupcake base, being sure to center it.  Frost top of cupcake. I used a large open star tip .  I started piping near the bottom of the cupcake top and spiraled around until I got to the center. Since you already frosted the edges you don't have to worry about covering them with piped frosting. Decorate with sprinkles of your choice.

There is no need to frost the base of the cupcake.  Instead, make a decorative "cupcake liner" with a 12x12 sheet of scrapbook paper.  Cut strips about 3 inches high and then pleat them with small accordian style folds.  Tape or glue the edges together so that it will reach all the way around the cupcake. (I admit that Evan did this part for me. Next time I will get Marianne to pipe the frosting and then it will look much better!) Serves 8-10.


No comments: