Friday, December 28, 2012

Cauliflower Soup

We love cauliflower! I found this recipe on Pioneer Woman and just tweaked it a bit. I used up the last of the stock from the two turkeys I cooked at Thanksgiving.  It was my first time making stock, not sure why I never tried it before. The homemade stock was delicious, but I'm sure the soup would be just as yummy with regular chicken broth.
  • 1 stick Butter, Divided
  • 1 onion, diced 
  • 1 carrot diced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1 whole (to 2 Whole) Cauliflower Heads (roughly Chopped)
  • 2 Tablespoons Fresh Or Dried Parsley (chopped)
  • 6 cups chicken broth or stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 6 T flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup Half-and-half (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation Instructions

In a large pot melt 4 T butter. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes, or until it starts to turn brown.
Add the carrots and celery and cook an additional couple of minutes. Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine. Add a bit of stock so it doesn't dry out.
Cover and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pour in chicken stock or broth. Add 2 bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.
In a medium saucepan, melt 4 T butter. Add flour, salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Add milk slowly, whisking constantly.
When thickened a bit, remove from heat. (Optional: stir in 1 cup half-and-half.) Add mixture to the simmering soup. Allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper.

No comments: