Sunday, September 16, 2012

Aunt Lavender


Here I am (sans makeup) with my sweet baby girl.  I am her mother.  Plain and simple.  I may be a little older than the typical mother of a six month old, but I don't think about it very often.

On Saturday we were excited to celebrate our granddaughter Leighton's first birthday.  We were hurrying to get ready for the party.  I wrapped her gift and got out her card. Then Lavender reminded me that she was hungry.  I sat down to nurse for a few minutes.  When we finished, I picked up the birthday card and started to write, "L-o-v-e" then I paused realizing that I needed to write "Grandma."  I love being a grandma to my two sweet girls, but it was a strange thing to finish nursing my baby and then sign my name as Grandma.  It made me stop and smile!

This evening John and I took a walk with Lavender and Marianne.  As John pushed the stroller down the street,  a neighbor got out of his car and was heading towards his house.  He stopped and asked if he could see the baby.  He admired her and then looked at the three of us.  He looked a little confused and his eyes settled on Marianne.  Finally he asked, "Is this your daughter?"  I quickly pointed to Marianne and explained, "She is our oldest daughter."  Then I gestured to Lavender saying, "and this is our youngest daughter."  The man was amazed at the age difference and congratulated me.  As we continued our walk and turned the corner, Marianne started laughing.  She said, "I wanted to tell him that you also have two granddaughters.  That would have really confused him!"  We all laughed and agreed it was probably best to keep our story simple!

And it is simple.  We are one big happy family!  Lavender has five older siblings (including Molly of course) who love and care for her and two little nieces to play with.  I am excited to see them grow up together!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Love these pictures. She is such a beautiful girl.

Bryn said...

She is so precious! Love her! Families are all different! it's fun being out of the norm sometimes.

Molly Hartzell said...

We love our family! I don't even remember what it was like before we had all 3 babies. We're all lucky to have such an awesome mom!