CS Lewis wrote, "Joy is the serious business of Heaven." Perhaps this is why babies, so fresh from heaven, seem to find so much joy in life. Lavender is quick to smile and she delights in new sights, textures and sounds. She is thrilled by the familiar as well. Her whole body quivers and exudes joy when someone she loves approaches. I feel her joy each day and it heightens my awareness of the joyful moments in life.
Here are a few things that have brought me joy:
receiving an email from my missionary son
the smell of rain in the air
my granddaughter's sweet voice shouting "Hi!" as she runs towards me
feeling the Spirit when I read the Book of Mormon
conversations with my children
holding my husband's hand
talking to a friend
anticipating a trip with my family
listening to my dad tell stories of his childhood
looking at photos of my mother
At times, I have had similar experiences without feeling joy. Why? Perhaps it was my attitude or state of mind. CS Lewis explained the elusive nature of joy:
"Only when your whole attention and desire are fixed on something else--whether a distant mountain, or the past, or the gods of Asgards--does the 'thrill' arise. It is a byproduct. Its very existence presupposes that you desire not it but something other and outer."
Joy is a gift from God. When my heart is ready, I am often, as Lewis described, surprised by joy.
". . . men are, that they might have joy." 2 Nephi 2:25
No comments:
Post a Comment