Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day

Since my dad is on vacation, I didn't get to spend Father's Day with him this year.  I miss him, but I know he is having a wonderful trip!  Evan spoke in Sacrament Meeting about the 3 P's of fatherhood (preside, provide and protect).  He gave a wonderful talk and told about John's dad who worked 2 jobs for 17 years to provide for his family.  He worked at the post office all day and then cleaned the bank in the evenings.  Sometimes he took his children along and they thought it was a special treat to get to help their dad.

After church we celebrated at home with all the Happy Hartz except Elder Aaron.  We made John some of his favorite foods and Molly made Ryan's favorite CPK-style salad. 

Our main course was Beef Stroganoff. I think I've made this once or twice during the past 25 years.  I rarely cook with beef.  In fact, the kids were amazed to see the steak I bought.  Here is the recipe I used from the Lion House cookbook.  It really is yummy.

Beef Stroganoff

1 clove garlic cut into quarters (I used more)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 lbs lean round or sirloin steak cut into thin bite sized pieces (1 inch x 1/4 inch thick)
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
3/4 tsp paprika
1 cup sour cream
hot cooked egg noodles

Heat garlic in oil for a few minutes, then remove and discard garlic.  Add meat to skillet; brown slightly.  Add onion, salt and pepper.  Cover and cook for 35-45 minutes until meat is tender, turning occasionally.  Add more water as needed. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.

With slotted spoon remove meat and mushrooms.  Keep warm.  Blend flour into drippings in pan.  Slowly stir in milk.  Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens.  Add paprika and stir. Add meat and mushrooms and sour cream.  Mix and heat well, but do not cook.

Serve over egg noodles.  Serves 6.

For dessert we had rice krispie treats and homemade rocky road ice cream. Here is the easy recipe we used.

Rocky Road Ice Cream

14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup light cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped pecans
 1 cup mini marshmallows.

In medium saucepan over low heat, cook and stir condensed milk and cocoa until smooth and slightly thickened, approx 5 min.  Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.  Stir in heavy cream, light cream and vanilla. Refrigerate until cool.

Pour mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to directions.  Add nuts and marshmallows halfway through.  Yum!

Here we are after dinner.  He liked it!

John with all of our children and grandchildren (except Elder Aaron of course)
There are 10 of us now. We're getting to be quite a group!
 

We are happy to see Ryan being a good husband to Molly and father to his girls.
Now if we can just get him to stop these cheesy poses.

Lavender didn't get to taste any of the food on her first Father's Day, 
but she did find something else yummy--her thumb!

Hope you and yours had a wonderful Father's Day!

No comments: