Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Day Ryan was Born

Ryan's birth was a very traumatic experience for both of us.  It started out easily enough.  My water broke early in the morning, but I wasn't really in labor.  In hindsight, I know that I needed to take a long walk and to keep walking to get things moving.  My labors start off very slow, gentle and gradual, but I didn't know that yet.

Instead of taking a walk, I went to the hospital and stayed in bed.  Soon I was given Pitocin to induce labor.  For the rest of the day I was officially in labor, but it didn't feel like I thought (or read, or heard) labor was supposed to feel.  Rather than contractions that came in waves, I had constant pain that went from bad to worse.  That night, a nurse told me I would have a baby "tomorrow."  That made me so mad and I determined I was having my baby "tonight."  And I did.  After 2 1/2 hours of pushing my baby boy was born just before midnight. 

Despite having a bruised head from the monitor that had been corkscrewed into his scalp and a lung that threatened to collapse, Ryan was beautiful and healthy.  Everyone who saw him commented on what a gorgeous boy he was.

I was also bruised and felt like collapsing, but I was not quite so gorgeous.  I had made it through the grueling 20 hour labor through sheer muscle and willpower.  I did it without any medication, but it certainly wasn't the beautiful, natural experience I had hoped for.

When Ryan was a couple of hours old, a new nurse came into my room.  Her first question was, "So are you going to have more kids?" 

I was shocked and replied, "Well, I've always planned to!" 

Her next comment was even more insensitive.  "Those are the worst stretch marks I've ever seen.  You look like a zebra!"  I had no response to that one. 

I didn't get much sleep that night, but the next morning I opened my eyes to find a priest standing over my bed. I thought maybe I had died.
"Good morning" said the priest. What is your baby's name?"

"John Ryan" I replied.

"That's a good Catholic name" the priest said with a smile. "May I baptize him now?" asked the priest.

"Sure" I mumbled, still trying to figure out why I was having such a strange dream.

He proceeded with the ordinance and by then I was awake enough to ask, "Father, exactly why are you here?"

"Oh, I'm visiting all the Catholic mothers this morning" he explained.

"But I'm not Catholic, I'm Mormon. Ryan will be baptized again when he's 8, but no harm done!"

Lessons I learned from Ryan's birth: 
  • Giving birth is about letting go, yielding your body, heart and soul to something higher
  • You can't "control" the birth process
  • Childbirth education classes are great, but won't prepare you for natural childbirth
  • Babies are worth any sacrifice
  • If I did THAT, I can do just about anything!

8 comments:

Shonda said...

I love this series! You make me want to write about my births and I'm not even pregnant. The rude nurse made me think of having a ready comment for someone like that. The only one I could think of besides, "Wow, what a rude thing to say!" was "Do you always wear your hair like that? It's very unattractive on you!" LOL

Molly Hartzell said...

You're amazing for enduring all that naturally! What strength. And thank goodness for baby Ryan being born!

tawnya said...

Wow. She really said that? I love rude comments. They're my favorite... blech.

Melanie said...

Tawnya, I wouldn't bet on the exact words of the priest, but the words of that nurse are forever burned into my mind. I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was very hurt.

tawnya said...

I have several comments like that "burned on my brain" that I will never forget. Since you likely know the people who said them, I'll spare you the details!

mamagale said...

What an ordeal--the rude nurse really topped things off! But the baptism part is hilarious--I didn't even know that's how it is done--I thought they got sprinkled later in the church with all the family around. Great story!

Melanie said...

Joanna, The priest may have said "bless" rather than "baptize" but he performed some type of ordinance that involved prayer and a liquid (water? oil?) I am admittedly sketchy on the details.

Annalisa said...

love all the stories. :o)