Did I scare you with that title? Don't worry, this post contains no graphic information or photos :)
When I was 16 1/2 years old, my youngest brother David was born and I was there. I mean right there. The nurses in the hospital were not happy about my presence and tried to shoo me out of the room, but my Mom insisted and the nurses reluctantly followed the doctor's orders to let me stay. I stood right by my Mom's shoulder, so I had a good view, but I didn't have to see anything I didn't want to!
Mom made the whole process look very easy. She was calm and quiet and David emerged after just a few pushes. He was her fifth and final baby born (as were the first four) after just a few hours of labor without a epidural or any type of pain medication.
This experience shaped my views of childbirth. I saw firsthand that labor and birth did not have to be the terrible, painful experience I had seen on TV. Mainly, it eased my fears about birth and becoming a mother. Certainly, I was very naive in expecting my first baby to come as easily as my mom's fifth. However, I am grateful for the confidence it gave me in knowing "I can do this someday!"
Seven years later, I was gave birth to my own baby and I followed my mom's example in having a natural birth. I did quite a bit of research and preparation in making this decision and ultimately, with my husband's approval, I decided it was the right choice for me and my baby. For me, giving birth naturally has been a very empowering experience. It has strengthened me in ways that are difficult for me to verbalize or express in writing.
I believe that choices in childbirth are very personal and I understand and rejoice in the fact that there are so many safe options available for mothers and babies. Please understand that I am not criticizing or judging anyone who made a different choice or had a different experience than me.
With the birth of each of my children, I have learned different lessons. So over the next few days I want to share a bit about the birth of each one. I guess it is one way I am preparing as I approach my fifth and final birth experience.
PS I promise the upcoming posts will also be free of anything too graphic!
No comments:
Post a Comment