Saturday, February 18, 2012

This is supposed to taste just like Panera Bread's

In an effort to reassure the world myself that I am still capable of cooking dinner, I am posting this recipe for the soup I made on Sunday.  This also guarantees that I will be able to find this recipe the next time I want to make it. 

Broccoli Cheese Soup - Serves 8

1 onion, diced
1/2 cup butter melted, plus 2 T for sauteing onions
1/2 cup flour
4 cups half and half or milk
4 cups chicken broth
1 pound broccoli, chopped
2 cups carrots, chopped or shredded
2 tsp salt (to taste)
1/2 tsp pepper (to taste)
4 cups grated cheddar cheese (could use less)
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Saute onion and 2T butter over med heat until translucent.  Set aside.

In another pan, whisk 1/2 c melted butter and flour for 3-4 min.  Slowly add half and half while whisking.  Continue whisking while adding chicken broth.  Simmer for 20 min.

Add broccoli, carrots and sauteed onions.  Cook over low heat until veggies are tender. (Maybe 20 min?)  Add salt and pepper.

Blend until it is as smooth as you like it.  Over low heat, add cheese until melted and well blended.  Stir in nutmeg. 

No comments: