Monday, January 30, 2012

Pregnancy Favorites

This morning I was telling my kids how delicious my breakfast tasted.  They looked at my bowl of oatmeal and thought I was crazy. 
"But it is made with milk, not water and it has FRESH blueberries and bananas!"  I explained.

They nodded, but I could tell they weren't convinced.  Finally Marianne said, "You enjoy your food way too much lately."

I guess she's right, at least some of the time.  Breakfast has never been my favorite meal of the day, but I love eating breakfast at this point in my pregnancy.  It settles my stomach after a long night of popping Tums.  Some of my favorites are:

Fresh fruit, especially blueberries and clementines (but not together)
Peanut butter on toast
Cottage cheese with apples

For lunch my favorites include:
(You guessed it) Cottage cheese with something salty like tortilla chips or triscuits
Quesadillas
Cheese and crackers
(Did you notice a theme here?)

By dinner I really don't feel like eating, but I make myself eat something.  The only thing I can't handle right now is eggplant.  John loves fresh eggplant so I coat it in breadcrumbs/seasonings/parmesan cheese and bake it.  Usually I like it too, but during this pregnancy I have a strange reaction to it.  When I eat it, my mouth feels fuzzy.  If I keep eating it, I feel sick.  It is almost like an allergic reaction.

After Christmas, Evan stocked up on incredibly cheap candy canes.  I wasn't very happy with all that candy, but now I am really grateful.  I love having a candy cane every day.  I think it is the peppermint that helps settle my stomach and prevent heartburn, when the Pepcid doesn't do its job.  Even my peppermint scented body wash makes me feel better during my shower. 

When I was pregnant with my other kids, I didn't really have any cravings and my diet didn't change much.  This time has been weird and I am kind of driving my family crazy.  On the other hand, I have gained only a fraction of the weight I did with my other kids.  My doctor says it's fine because the baby is growing and doing well. Yeah!

4 comments:

tawnya said...

My last month, I ate a watermelon a day. An entire one. Thank heavens it was summer and a trip to the store wasn't a big deal!

Melanie said...

That is too funny Tawnya!

Kim & Brian's Adventures said...

I have a whole bunch of that candy canes left over. Let me know if you need more stash! :) So excited for you.

Debbie said...

We heard about the candy canes yesterday, and he brought some with him. I think my children were a jealous at the price he paid for them. And what better reason for eating one a day.