Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A gift from Mom

I recently received a special gift from my Mom.  The day before her birthday I was cleaning out my dad's desk.  In between some papers, I found a letter my mom wrote to me 15 years ago, but never gave to me. She had printed it out and then made a few changes by hand, so I think it was unfinished.  Here are a few quotes from the letter.


"As a parent I do not believe there are favorite children.  I believe there are favorite things about each child."


"As I watch you parent your children, I am pleased with the respect you show for them and the dignity with which you parent.  As they grow older you will come to realize that even though you are the Mother now, we are truly all brothers and sisters, and then you will find as I have that your respect for your children as individuals grows even stronger."

"My testimony of Jesus Christ is strong!  There is no doubt that He lives!  Joseph Smith did indeed translate the Book of Mormon from Gold plates and did restore Christ's church upon the earth.  Never doubt that there is eternal life and that the covenants that we make in the temple are God's plan.  Always remain true to this gospel and know that God hears and answers our prayers and that everything we experience in this life is for our own growth and benefit.  I love you #1 daughter!"

"You have always known that I love you.  I write this letter now to confirm and put that love (a feeble attempt I might add) on paper, that you may have this to read when I am not around."

4 comments:

Shonda said...

Oh Melanie. That is a beautiful gift.

Kristin said...

wow, there are no words! how wonderful. I love your mom!

Bryn said...

Wow! That is just awesome! That is indeed one special gift.

jessica said...

A truly wonderful gift!