Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Version of The Container Store

Recently, a friend confessed to me that her dresser was a mess. "I just cleaned it off" she admitted, "and I even had Christmas earrings out from last year!"

I wasn't too shocked by her revelation since my dresser is usually a mix of jewelry, dust and loose change that wanders over from John's side.

However, I recently found a cute chest for my earrings. I justified the purchase as an organizational improvement, but really I just love how it looks. The drawers are ceramic and large enough to hold 2-3 pairs of earrings.

It got me thinking about my other "jewelry boxes". They're not really boxes and I'm very sentimental about all of them.


When Evan was in Cub Scouts he came home from den meeting proudly holding his mug holder. His excitement dwindled when he realized that we had very few mugs and no need for a holder. It sat in his closet for awhile until one day he came to me with a suggestion.

"Mom you really need a place to hang your necklaces and bracelets. Would you like to use my mug holder?"

This tree holds now hold most of my necklaces and bracelets. It may not be fancy, but it works like a charm. Best of all, it was made by my very own Cub Scout.


Nine years ago John won an award at work. A big award. For lots of hard work. Back in the days when companies actually had a budget for such things.

We were thrilled at the chance to visit Australia and my Mom was kind enough to babysit all four kids. In a moment of insanity, we decided to test my parents' devotion by extending our trip for another week. John thought it would be fun to visit New Zealand. Besides, the flight would only cost us a little extra.

It sounds like this story might end badly, but in fact it was a dream come true. The time we spent in Australia with John's company was great, but our time in New Zealand was heavenly. It is the most gorgeous place on earth and we had a fabulous time together. Best of all, the kids didn't drive grandma and grandpa crazy. In fact, my Mom accused me of exaggerating how hard they were. "Your kids were no trouble at all," I remember her saying. They were 3, 5, 9 & 11 at the time, so I found that hard to believe!

As a bonus, I found the perfect souvenir. These cool little drawers are made from some of New Zealand's lovely wood. The top drawer is perfect for long earrings and the bottom one is great for larger items.

Finally, I have my ring holder. This little gem was given to me by my mother-in-law the first Christmas we were married. She was a champion bargain shopper. She found the best deals throughout the year, usually at Mervyn's, and stocked her closet with birthday, Christmas and baby gifts. When she passed away in August her closet was full of gifts. Many of them wrapped and/or labelled. For years, I couldn't set foot in Mervyn's without crying a bit. When they finally went out of business, I felt like I'd lost a connection to her. I'm certain Mary Alice didn't intend for this to become a family heirloom, but I love it because it reminds me of her.

Oftentimes, we hang onto useless stuff because we are sentimental. Nothing's wrong with that, until it crowds our space. It's a beautiful thing when an item is functional and dear to our heart!

6 comments:

Alyssa said...

I love the new box!

jessica said...

I LOVE your earring box!! What cute drawers!!

Melanie said...

Um, Jessica? Aren't you supposed to be having a baby right now?!

Kristin said...

I just love reading your blog, especially when i haven't had time to stay up on it and I can come read 3 or 4 posts at a time, I feel like we just spent an afternoon together! I wish we lived closer but am thankful for blogs and that it keeps us up on the blogs!!

Jenny said...

Love the drawers! The new box is so fun!(So are your other jewelry holders. My jewelry box is way boring!)

And by the way, mom never told me my kids were "no problem" when she babysat them for that long. Do you think that's because she was older or because my kids are way harder than yours? ;)

Kristy said...

All things that I need right now to organize my jewelry!