"It will be very interesting one day to follow the pattern of our life as it is spread out like a beautiful tapestry. As long as we live here, we see only the reverse side of the weaving; and very often the pattern, with its threads running wildly, doesn't seem to make sense. Someday, however, we shall understand.
In looking back over the years, we can discover how a red thread goes through the pattern of our life; the will of God." (Maria Augusta Trapp)
Won't it be wonderful to see the finished tapestry some day? One of my favorite Christmas picture books gives us a glimpse of the final product. Sometimes we are given the gift of seeing how everything fits together. We know that God has worked miracles to weave something perfectly lovely.
Christmas Tapestry by Patricia Polacco is the story of a young boy, Jonathan, who can't understand why he and his family are experiencing trials. It takes a move to a strange city, a blizzard and a dead car battery to get things started. The discovery of an antique tapestry, the kindness of an old woman and a visit from an elderly craftsman lead to a sweet reunion. In the end, Jonathan realizes that God's work is "seamless, woven so perfectly."
Christmas Tapestry is the perfect story for your family to read together. To help us remember that God does answer prayers, but that his time is not our time. To remind us that Christmas is a time of miracles. That God is always there and he will make our lives a work of beauty.
God can take what is broken or ugly . . .


4 comments:
I love this book! My mother in law read it to us at our family Christmas party years ago and it now sits in our Christmas book basket on the hearth waiting to be enjoyed this season. If I could just get through it without getting so chocked up!
That is beautiful. I totally want to check that book out now. Thank goodness for the eternal perspective. I love the way you know how to write down these ideas. I appreciate it, too.
I love this book, it is one of my Christmas favorites. I also love the author, I have read many of her books and I have enjoyed them a lot. :)
I LOVE Patricia Polacco..fabulous author!!
Post a Comment