I love my Christmas tree! I haven't always felt that way. For years I wished I had a designer tree with beautifully matched ribbons and ornaments. Now I realize that what I really have is a memory tree! I love looking at our hodge-podge of ornaments and remembering. Most of our ornaments fall into one of several categories. Here is a small sampling from our many ornaments.
1. Souvenirs from our trips
John and I love to travel. We even bring the kids along sometimes!Clockwise: 2009 trip to Chicago w/John's sister and her husband, 1998 trip to New Orleans w/baby Evan who was an angel, Plimouth Plantation 2007, gilded leaf from Grand Canyon 2010, Paris 2000, bear from Yosemite, Bison from Yellowstone, Pinnochio from Italy 2000.
2. Ornaments made by my kids
Aaron seems to be our most prolific creator.
I absolutely love his handsewn yellow bird and the "E" he cut and carved from a tree branch for Evan. The white one with the blue ribbon is a sand dollar he found at the beach.
3. Ornaments I've given to my kids to commemorate a special event or interest
This year's additions are the bird for Evan and the cupcakes for Marianne.
4. Homemade ornaments from ornament exchanges over the years
Some of these friends I haven't seen in years, but it is fun to remember them when I see their ornaments.
The "Mel" ornament was made by our family friend Lynn. She actually made one for each member of our family, and my Mom used to hang them on the wall. My mom just gave this to me last year. The ice cream cone was made by my mother-in-law in 1987. We used to have a whole set, but some got broken and my boys actually ate a few of the cones. This is our last one and it is closely guarded. The "Dear Santa" ornament was made by my friend Linda who also made Marianne's blessing dress. The little reindeer was made by my Mom. We actually made a whole bunch of these together.
6. Ornaments that remind us of our Savior
We have numerous nativity scenes around the house, but it is fun to have some Christlike ornaments on the tree as well. The crystal heart is lovely, but the photo doesn't capture it. The shepherd and sheep are part of a beautiful set given to me by my sister. I love them!
No comments:
Post a Comment